Thursday, October 14, 2010

Super-Size Me...

Most attempts at Lego narrow gauge train models involve minifig scale trains on rails mounted closer than 6 studs apart. This post showcases some of my attempts to 'go the other way'. These locos, wagons and scenery are all built to Miniland scale making the standard Lego track about meter gauge. Instead of starting off with a beautiful Swiss prototype, I've opted for an industrial flavour. Granted, this results in a very broad gauge for this sort of prototype, but the feel is quite good I think - and my modest brick inventory is not unduly overtaxed!

Wagons are coupled using #35 O-rings from Lowe's (the same ones I use to upgrade the traction tires on my PF locos) I hope you enjoy! (PHOTOS)

[Take Notice!] TallTim of The Brickish Association has made some fabulous narrow gauge models.

5 comments:

  1. I saw these on Brickshelf and was please when I saw they were yours. I'm a big fan of building narrow gauge trains to a larger scale and using the standad track. Even the curves and ties of Lego track are actually more suited to a large scale narrow gauge.
    I was amused when you wrote "Instead of starting off with a beautiful Swiss prototype, I've opted for an industrial flavour", exactly what I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, I also think that the larger scale is good for in the garden. And to promote mysef ;-)
    Industrial flavour http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=5938
    Swiss starter
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=92467

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Simplex is amazing Talltim! Well done on the bent frame. I have been looking for a nice approach to a Jubilee (Rugga) style dump car and yours is "spot-on". Thanks for sharing your work. Very inspiring indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your coupling design, very simple, but it works. The standard magnets are OK for smaller vehicles, but when you start getting bigger they aren't strong enough.
    Oh, and kudos for making ht eminiland style people, I have mean to for years, but get scared by modelling organic things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Talltim - Thanks! The Unofficial Lego Builder's Guide (see parts on Google Books) has a great little tutorial on building miniland figs.

    ReplyDelete